Saturday, January 16, 2010

A Thought from our Visit With Father Sam

Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament

My Dear Wife and I have arrived in Tucson for some of the winter.  At Our Lady of Fatima Parish nearby, they have Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament each first Monday of the month.  St. Padre Pio was a devotee of Adoration, and it is said that when he said mass it was like a missionary journey, and a most mystical experience.

When we saw Father Sam a while ago, he showed us his prayer room, a converted sun porch, complete with a tabernacle holding the Blessed Sacrament.  He had previously told me about having coffee with Jesus every morning.  Not being the brightest bulb in the pack, it has taken me a while to take it all in.

Father Sam has a small monstrance in his kitchen, and he takes the Blessed Sacament out of the tabernacle he has each morning, and puts it in the monstrance in his kitchen, so that he does in fact, in the Catholic tradition, have coffee with Jesus every morning, in the form of bread, but in every sense present in the Eucharist.

The enormity of Father Sam's faith in the teachings of the Church, and the truth of the presence of Christ in the Eucharist is manifest to me in this story and in seeing this glimpse of Father's prayer life.

All I can say is WOW, and I can hardly wait for the first Friday of February to go and pay a visit to my Saviour during the Adoration at Our Lady of Fatima.

No comments: